I am blaming my need to be a crazy hippy lately on the fact that I live a life that’s entirely too stressful. Appologies to my dear husband who has to put up with my insanity. Today I realized that I needed cereal for the week and I also realized that I had everything available to make homemade granola. Granola is actually super easy to make and if you make it yourself, it is not nearly as expensive as buying it at the store. Plus then you can make exactly what you like.
Gather your supplies:
- 6 cups of oats (I went with old fashioned oatmeal)
- 1 (ish) cups of nuts or sunflower seeds (I did 3/4 cup of sunflower seeds and half a cup of walnuts)
- 1 cup of flaxseeds (this is completely optional – I just happened to have them hanging around)
- 1.5 cups of some sort of liquid sweetener (honey, syrup, etc. – Idid .25 cups of honey and the rest maple syrup, because that’s what I had available)
- cinnamon to taste (I actually forgot to put this in this time and it’s still rather tastey)
- 2 cups of dried fruit (I have an over abundance of dried fruit at my house, but I went with Raisins and Cranberries for today)
Pre heat oven to 350. Mix everything but the dried fruit together in a bowl. Spread the mixture onto a cookie sheets (I would recommend using one that has a lip). Make sure to spray the cookie sheet with pam or oil or something of the sort. Cook for 30 minutes. Check every 7 minutes or so and mix around. Remove and let cool.
Put back in the bowl and add dried fruit. Mix.
Store in an air tight container. When I buy cereal at the store it only fills up about 1/3 of this container.